Thursday, May 15, 2008

A journey of 1000 posts begins with a single step

For quite some time, the idea of blogging has intrigued me.  As I've read others' blogs, I've thought "I may not be able to do this well, but I could do it."  Holding me back though was nagging self doubt.  What would I write about?  Would it be interesting?  Would anyone read it?  Could I do it consistently?  Would my boss find out and fire me?

Given these questions, I chose to just fret on the sidelines.  I spent my time watching others succeed and fail, while I simply aged.  Then one day, over a rather awful egg foo yong, I opened a fortune cookie and read "Behind every dark cloud lies a brite sun."  I had no clue what it meant, but it spoke to me.  Behind the poorly spelled fortune was not a bright/brite sun, but a message: blog about fortune cookies.

As Confucius once said, "A good blog can be made of nothing but fortunes and humor, but making fortunes requires more than blogs and humor - you also need pictures of kittens."  Since I don't intend to pay off my school loans using this blog, instead I'm just going to post fortunes I get from cookies and offer my own unique spin.

There is an off chance that I may also blog about my work (except I'm governed by a confidentiality agreement), politics (except I have relatives in politics who may wish I was governed by a confidentiality agreement), my love life (except it sucks and I wish it was governed by a confidentiality agreement), and my thoughts on life (except those would put you to sleep).  Or maybe I'll just stick to fortunes.  Who knows what I'll do?  Other than a fortune of course...

No comments: